Update On Waxhaw Area School Rezoning Plans In Union County, NC
Here's a quick update about school reassignments and rezoning for the Waxhaw/Weddington/Marvin area schools in Union County, NC. Earlier I posted information about the fact that homeowners in the Waxhaw area have become increasingly concerned about schools rezoning and its impact on their home values and their children's standard of eduction if moved out of some of Union County's top performing schools.
This afternoon, one of my clients, whose children, home, and neighborhood are likely to be impacted in a new rezoning scheme in Union County, provided me the following information. If your children, home, and neighborhood might be impacted you might want to stay on top of developments and find time to attend some of the future meetings.
Schools With Current Enrollment At Above Capacity/Now Capped For New Enrollment:
- Kensington Elementary School is functioning at 120% of capacity (capacity was set at 1,000 students). Children will be sent to Waxhaw Elementary.
- Marvin Ridge Middle School is functioning at 119% of capacity (capacity was set at 1,300 students). Children will be sent to Parkview Middle School.
- Porter Ridge Middle School (in neighboring Indian Trail) is functioning at 119% of capacity (capacity was set at 1,300 students). Children will be sent to Piedmont Middle School.
Some additional things to be aware of as these schools are capped for new enrollment:
- High school seniors would be grandfathered.
- 5th & 8th graders could be considered for grandfathering (along with their siblings), but NO transportation would be provided to the schools and it would be only for one school year.
The school board is currently conducting a study of a seven year growth projection for Union County Schools, which right now is the fastest growing school system in North Carolina. This study will be presented at the December 3rd meeting and its primary purpose will be to determine a redistricting plan that will:
- Determine how best to utilize schools functioning at below capacity.
- Enhance transportation efficiency.
- Minimize the need to rezone/redistrict schools again within three years.
Planned meetings of the Union County School Board to be aware of and attend, if possible:
- December 3, 2013 at 7pm at Rocky River Elementary. This weill be a critical meeting as the results of the seven year growth projection study will be discussed then.
- January 7, 2014 at 7pm at Sandy Ridge School.
- February 4, 2914 at 7pm at Sardis Elementary School.
- March 4, 2014 will also be a critical meeting of the School Board, as it will present the new school zone map and Waxhaw area residents will then know which neighborhoods will be most affected. Public hearings on the proposed redistricting/rezoning will be held on or about March 13, 2014 with the School Board making final decisions on March 20, 2014.
Right now the upshot of all of this is that we know three schools are now capped for new enrollment pursuant to a vote of the Union County School Board on November 12th, 2013. Final decisions on redistricting and rezoning in the Waxhaw/Weddington/Marvin/Indian Trail areas won't be announced until late March 2014. Unfortunately, Union County homeowners, home buyers, home sellers will be living with uncertainty as to school assignments for the next four months.
And again, here's a reminder that you can keep track of developments on the Stop The Redistricting Facebook page.
Broker, Realtor, CRS, GRI, ABR, SRES, CDPE, SFR, SPS
Carolinas Realty Partners with RE/MAX Executive Realty
Search for Charlotte Area Homes: www.HomesInCharlotteArea.com
2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Charlotte Magazine 5-Star Customer Satisfaction Award Winner
Oh by the way, I'm never too busy for any of your referrals!